I got Packenham (Paddy for short) - an ex point-to-pointer in May of 2012, after having a break from riding of about 20 years. There have been some ups and downs (mostly downs) over the past 18 months & this is our journey together from Paddy being a racehorse to hopefully eventually a riding horse!

Friday 13 April 2012

Introducing Paddy

Hi I am Emma and recently took up riding again after a break of about 20 years. In my teens and early twenties I rode alot. I had my own horses all of which I used to compete at various levels, but mostly my little thoroughbred chestnut mare Gemma, who despite her size (15'2"hh) was a complete superstar who did a bit of everything including Pony club, showing and hunting plus affiliated dressage, showjumping and eventing up to advanced level.

I restarted riding at South Cambridgeshire Equestrian Centre (http://www.scec.co.uk/) but very soon started hankering after my own horse again, wanting more than the weekly riding lesson, so started the hunt for a horse.

My wish list was for something that was sane, had done a bit of everything but with enough left for me to bring on and develop, preferably an irish sport horse type......When I contacted the owner about Paddy I wasn't that interested as he didn't have completely clean legs, was an e-racehorse, a thoroughbred and was very green.......I only went to try him as it was on the way to another horse viewing!

Well I dragged my daughter & her boyfriend (who also rides) with me & when we arrived it was raining, cold and miserable but then I saw him & saw how he was in the stable & being handled I was already half smitten! He was gentle, sane & very pretty (I'm a sucker for a pretty horse!). We then rode him and he went very well with nice comfortable paces despite the rain and horses in the next field prancing round & distracting him....After this it took me all of 10 minutes to decide to buy him!

And here he is...

No comments:

Post a Comment